Tuesday, September 25, 2012

I Sew Straight Lines

I like to think I am a fairly creative person that does fairly well at crafty things.  Sometimes it may seem I am an 80 year old woman (knitting, quilting, pictures) but really I'm not.
As mentioned I quilt, well not completely.  I don't actually do the quilting part, but I piece it together send it off to get quilted and then put the edging on.  So really - I sew straight lines.  Pretty well though.
With Amelia's potty training - she really can't do the snap onsies anymore, plus she doesn't like the bunchy feeling between her legs.  We bought some Iowa Hawkeye onsies a while ago that she still can wear.  I decided since I am the fairly crafty person that I am - I would cut off the bottoms and hem them.  Waa - laa 2 usable shirts.   Pretty easy project.
Which is good - because for her fall clothes - instead of buying 2T clothes - I bought 3T.  Who knew that 24 month clothes and 2T clothes are different?!  So next year she will be set .
Anyway, off I cut the bottoms of the onsies.  I felt brilliant at this moment.  And then it has sort of gone down hill from there.  I started to sew the first shirt....it caught - hole #1 in shirt.  Note to self:  when sewing, it is good to put some thread in.  So I did - telling myself how ridiculous of a mistake that was....come on Miss Crafty - this isn't your first rodeo.  Ok, set up again, it caught...again - hole #2.  This time?  I still had my walking foot on from finishing Amelia's quilt.  For those who don't know what a walking foot is - well nutshell version - you are supposed to use it for really thick fabric.  A shirt?  Really not a thick fabric.  Once again as I switch them out I tell myself how the mistakes I am making should not be made. This is supposed to be a 'build your ego' project.   Ok - so on go the glasses (reading glasses people!  Remember I'm not 80!) - maybe this will help my issues.  They didn't.  As I sew around the shirt....I come to a seam....it gets caught....AGAIN.  Seriously?!  At least this time it doesn't have a hole.  Instead it has a very crooked line that quite frankly for a person who sews straight lines is rather embarrassing.  I'm killing the resale value of this shirt!  Come on - work with me Crafty wanna be!  So as I continue around....I keep migrating toward the edge of the shirt.  UGH!  At this point if I was speaking out loud I would be yelling at myself.  To think I'm still only on the first shirt!   At this point - Ring Ring - I'm saved by the Belle. Literally.  Isabelle woke up - oh so sorry self - have to leave this project unfinished on the sewing machine.  Ugh.  I suppose I will try again today.  Moral of the story....not all lines are straight and easy.....I can sew pieces of a quilt together.....but shirts....not so much.  Though I guess I do have one more shirt to redeem myself.  So we shall see.  But - note to you....if you have a shirt you want hemmed or touched with a sewing machine...I recommend not asking me!
 
 Update:  Well, I made it the rest of the way around the shirt.  For re-enforcement I was going to go around again (really not smart) and I have made 2 more holes and if I go farther I think I may just butcher the whole thing.   Ugh.  The only thing I can figure out is maybe my needle is too big.  BUT, I'm not going to test it out.  I think instead I will be buying an iron on hem for the other shirt.  Needless to say - I think I flunked on this craft!  So it goes I suppose.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh no! I was going to try and turn one of Arya's onesies into a shirt. But I am NOT a crafty person. Your story is making me think maybe I shouldn't try...