Monday, September 10, 2012

Confession

At church yesterday the message was about loving others.  And to be honest, I don't really remember much of it and yes, I was paying attention.  I did get 2 key things from it though - Love is patient and Love is slow to anger.   Lately, I feel like I don't give enough grace and patience to my sweet 2 year old.  Such as today at breakfast - to me sticking my banana in my chocolate milk and spilling it all over, just isn't very appealing.  But to a 2 year old - it is, it just is!  I didn't yell - but I had disappointment in my tone - like - "ahh, Amelia, why did you do that?  You spilled your milk alllll over."  There was such sadness in her eyes - she didn't even want to look at me.  
Now in the grand scheme of life is a little spilled milk that big of deal?  No - not even when you are in a hurry - especially, if it makes your child feel like they can't explore or can't do anything to please you.  Her reaction struck my heart. I don't want my children to know a mom who has no grace for them and expects them to be perfect little kids, because I am obviously not a perfect person and I will always love them no matter what they do. 
I don't take this to such an extreme of hey - how about you spill your milk all the time.  But I need to be conscious of my words and how I say them.  And most importantly I really need to remember:
1. Love is patient
2. Love is slow to anger

1 comment:

russue said...

I hear your heart. I think we as moms spend a lot of time feeling guilty about one thing or another. You are a good mom and your children are fortunate to have to wonderful parents. Love you, Nana