Sunday, August 12, 2012

Amelia is Potty Training!!!

The last week in July was mainly spent in the bathroom with Amelia potty training!  I never knew sitting next to a toilet entertaining a child could be so exhausting; however, I have to say it was worth it!  And we couldn't have done this without the help of Gramma.  

My thought for potty training was mainly to load Amelia up on liquids and take her to the bathroom a lot.  She has been showing most of the signs for quite some time, so I kind of thought - 3 days - we'll be good to go.  I realize now a few things:
- its a process, not a 3 days and done thing
- my relationship with Amelia has gotten stronger by spending so much time together
- potty training requires trust between parent and child
- both mommy and child need to be ready!
- I am and need to be my child's biggest cheerleader
- this is the biggest thing Amelia has learned in her short 2 years of life
- its a lot of work for both mommy and child
- I am so grateful for my mom's help
- accidents happen!
- I'm so so proud of my smart girl

Amelia on the potty!  Elmo helped immensely in this process.....Elmo potty seat, Elmo undies, Elmo books, Elmo youtube!
When Amelia goes to the potty successfully she gets such a huge proud smile on her face!
 Isabelle attended the potty party by having a growth spurt (aka lots of sleep) and adding to her development skills.  Here is one of her skills.
 Amelia had her choice of any and almost all drinks....load up time!
 Miss Isabelle
 Isabelle and one of her famous smiles!
 We spent a lot of time outside...easier to clean up accidents.  Amelia loved sitting in the mustang; however, it wasn't quite the same without her cousin Emma.  Emma gave her rides during Tulip Festival and Amelia just isn't quite ready to drive it herself.  She thought maybe her baby could drive it, but to no avail.  Amelia kept patting the driver seat saying, Emma, Emma over and over again.
 On occasion she would sit in the driver seat, but nooooo actual driving.
 We also went on the deck
 Gramma and Isabelle
 Grandpa and Amelia
 Time to grow some more!  
Amelia is wearing a dress that was my grandma's.  I am not sure of the full history, but the dress is very old and has been worn through generations.

It has been about 4 weeks since Amelia started potty training.  We are not 100% yet, but Amelia is doing really well. It seems she will go every couple days and have only 1 accident and then she'll have about 3 accidents in a row.  On these days, I am lucky to have gramma remind me that accidents happen!  So its definitely a process, but we are still going strong!  The amazing thing is Amelia has woken up in the morning with dry pull-ups a few times now!  This is a huge bonus, because I did not plan of focusing on this part at all until after we got the day time thing figured out.  She also continues to do well during nap time and has only had 1 or 2 accidents total. 

Amelia - I am so very proud of how you are doing!  I can't believe how smart you are.  Keep up the good work - we'll get this.


No comments: