Monday, January 23, 2012

Advise?!

So I need some advise......
Amelia loves to scream in public - mainly at the store when she is in the shopping cart.  It seems to occur the most when she is bored or doesn't want to be sitting in the shopping cart anymore or just for the fun of it.   I have tried to ignore it and I have considered leaving the store, but since her goal is to get out of the shopping cart - I feel like she would be winning in that instance as well.  I've also considered, giving her snacks, but that seems like it would only reinforce the behavior or anytime we go to a store she will want to eat. 
At home I have been trying to identify - a loud voice vs. a quiet voice - hoping this will help when we are in public.   Amelia totally thinks the whole thing is a game and thinks it is quite funny. 
Any suggestions - very wise ladies?!

Update: Thank you so much for your advise ladies - I totally appreciate it and will give it a try....this weekend will be our first store outing.
Update #2:  Well, we had our outing this weekend and overall Amelia did much better.  She had a bit of a difficult time towards the end, but I'm not sure I can blame her - it was her naptime and she was really tired.   I distracted her with a book, held back on giving any distraction (aka - reward) snacks and tried to entertain her.  I'm sure some outings will be good and some bad, but at least I feel like I have more tricks in my back pocket now!  Thanks again ladies!

2 comments:

Kim said...

My regular grocery shopping time is during the twins' usual snacktime, so they always get some snacks. But we go to 2 stores, so I always need more diversions. I keep a stash of quiet toys in my diaper bag (all easily washable in case they are dropped) - plastic animals, cars, etc. Also, I heard a really great idea where a mom took pictures of the food they were going to buy, and let her kids help find the items. Not sure she is quite old enough yet, but you never know. I have also been known to go through the store singing favorite songs (I pick the ones with actions to keep them really entertained) because I figure everyone would rather hear my bad singing then their screaming :) And don't feel badly. Once, when Ryan was bored at the store, he pulled Allies hair...and actually pulled some out! I was horrified. I've done a better job of keeping them from getting bored ever since!

safmomma said...

Here's my two cents..if she is screaming because she is upset and wants her way, I would discipline. We've had to leave the store, go to the van and discipline, and reenter the store. I wouldn't reward with food, but distraction isn't a bad thing. I still carry books, and things for my kids to do while they need to sit still or behave, including snacks (depending on if it a normal snack time for them).

It's not fun, but something you just have to train. Don't underestimate how much she understands. Talk to her before you go in about what you expect and what will happen if she disobeys.

It takes time and her behavior is normal. Just be consistent and patient. I'll be praying for you! Love you and would be happy to visit anytime. These are just my opinions and you need to figure out what works for you. You are a great mommy and Amelia is blessed that you love her so much to give her behavior boundaries. Love you!